Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack


The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack
The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I'm a sucker for a good time travel story and this one was action packed and filled with time travel twists. A good cast of characters leading with Richard Burton actually went to PG to download some of his free books, as an explorer and adventurer his was first rate, I’m wondering what type of writer he was. Algernon Swinburne was my favorite character, the diminutive masochist was funny and strangely heroic.

The best line in the novel was Burton’s “Still hanging around with the wrong crowd!” after a character is unexpectedly hung, unfortunately it was also too big of a coincidence saving the hero’s life, that along with some early pacing problem with info dumps that took far too long brouth this down from a 4 star to a three star book for me. I’m going to get book 2 and give that a try soon as book 3 is coming out this month I believe.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment