Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Soulless


Soulless
Soulless by Gail Carriger

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This was an enjoyable first book in a series with some interesting character’s like a gruff werewolf the earl of Woolsey and a foppish vampire the Lord Akeldama, the headstrong heroine, Alexia of the piece is terrific. I loved the opening scene of the novel in the library with when the vampire tries to attack Alexia.

This is the author’s first novel and I thought the pacing of the first half of the novel was a bit slow, but I liked her light hearted style that made the book fun to read.

What I didn’t like about the book is Alexia who throughout the novel is a match for anyone, after almost being told exactly how to defeat the Homunculus she still never thinks of it herself and has to be told again before she can partially defeat him.

The villain of the piece is completely one dimensional and no compelling reason is put forward as to why he was doing the things he did. At least the weak willed American doctor who is his ally has familial reasons for hating the supernatural creatures.

Lastly I thought the book was supposed to be a steampunk novel but aside from a brief mention in an early chapter about airships and a mention of a Babbage engine the story was pretty much an Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romance. The steampunk aspect might be expanded in further books in the series.

****SPOILERS*****

I liked it enough to probably try the next book in the series.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment