Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review: The Gods of Mars


The Gods of Mars
The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The mighty airship pirates make their first appearance in this volume of the Barsoom saga along with Thuvia the maid of Mars. The Black Pirates are the First Born race of Barsoom

"The First Born do no work.  The men fight--that is a sacred
privilege and duty; to fight and die for Issus. The women do
nothing, absolutely nothing. Slaves wash them, slaves dress
them, slaves feed them. There are some, even, who have
slaves that talk for them, and I saw one who sat during
the rites with closed eyes while a slave narrated to her the
events that were transpiring within the arena."


Burroughs doesn't think to highly of the black skinned race of Barsoom, but still manages to impress and make an ally of one of his opponents.

John Carter is as honorable and heroic as ever
I said, placing my hand upon his shoulder,
"you know best the promptings of your own heart. That I
shall need your sword I have little doubt, but accept from
John Carter upon his sacred honour the assurance that he
will never call upon you to draw this sword other than in
the cause of truth, justice, and righteousness."


Truth Justice and the American way, I wonder if the creators of superman were John Carter fans.

Thuvia is just itching to be with him

"I forget nothing, my Prince," she replied.  "You have
spoken no word of love to me, nor do I expect that you
ever shall; but nothing can prevent me loving you. I would
not take the place of Dejah Thoris. My greatest ambition is to
serve you, my Prince, for ever as your slave. No greater boon
could I ask, no greater honour could I crave, no greater
happiness could I hope."






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment