Friday, December 9, 2011

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1)Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Loved all four books of the Asian fantasy series, and any fans of Shogun are sure to enjoy this series.

...

I just finished rereading the novel and feel very differently from the other people who’ve already posted in the SF & Fantasy Thread. I think this book written by a westerner is very Japanese, I believe that’s why it is paced the way it is. Sure love at first sight is unbelievable but imagine a fifteen year old girl, forced to marry against her will. She is dreading meeting the old man who’ll force himself upon her. Suddenly she’s filled with relief when she sees the young man who she believes is to be her husband, may it isn’t love at first sight as much as relief at first sight.



I don’t believe that good fantasy has to have a twist ending. When Frodo picked up the ring and headed to Mordor, I had no doubt that he’d arrive and destroy the ring but I’ve read and reread LOTR enough times to make it an all time favorite.





Keep reading if you like ninjas and pirates, there’s only four more books to go.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment