Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DRM is Bad for Books

I think eBooks with drm should be free, they should be given to the people who buy a dead tree version of the book like a digital copy of a movie often comes on the DVD. The free eBook would be for the customer's convenience a searchable easy to carry library. The paper copy would be to insure the customer always has a readable copy even if Amazon goes out of business or decides to upgrade it's readers, like VHS/Beta to DVD and you wind up buying the same movies over again and to a lesser extent DVD to BD. I still have copies of paper books I bought in the 1970's that I still read, will Kindle or Nook or Sony drm eBooks still be readable in 2050 (not that I'll still be around to find out). So before you pick an eBook reader ask yourself if you really want to keep a readable book for life, and go download a .txt non drm book from Cory Doctorow.

Interesting post from Author Charles Stross

No comments:

Post a Comment